Port Otago Limited was granted a 25-year consent for its inshore dredging disposal in June 2017.
The consent’s monitoring conditions include:
Read more about our disposal sites and volumes.
A five-minute video showing the New Era dredge working in the Otago Harbour
Like other tidal ports, Otago Harbour’s channel and basin areas require ongoing dredging to maintain desired depths.
Dredging has been carried out in the harbour since the 1860s, with disposal of dredged material "out to sea" occurring since at least 1882. Prior to 1985, all dredged material was placed at the Heyward Point site. The Aramoana disposal site was first used in 1985 and Shelly Beach in 1987.
The Dredging Working Party was established in 2002 to evaluate monitoring of the disposal sites. Its functions are:
The Working Party has representatives from: